The V.A.S Compressor is single channel FET compressor with Stereo link capability. It incorporates Fredenstein's proprietary Reverse-Mancini FET architecture for increased linearity and noise performance. In addition, the output stage consists of our high performance OPA2 discrete operational amplifier coupled to a high quality American-made steel core transformer. As all Fredenstein products, the OPA2 is not a copy of an older design, but a completely new circuitry manufactured in SMT technology. Matched and integrated dual input transistors guarantee vastly improved specifications compared to older designs. The OPA2, following the tradition of well known manufactures, is socketed and can be exchanged without tools. The industry standard pin-out makes it compatible with many manufactures. To achieve the highest sonic performance, no polarized capacitors, electrolytic or tantalum, are deployed in the signal path.
- Single-channel FET compressor with stereo link capability
- Clear, vibrant, balanced sound from OPA2 discrete op-amp and steel-core output transformer
- Mix control allows you to blend your source signal for parallel-compression effects
- Side-chain input with filter allows you to trigger compression from an external signal
- LED meters display Gain Reduction and Output Level
- Ratio ranges from 2:1 to 20:1 for everything from subtle smoothing to extreme limiting
- Attack time ranges from 0.5ms to 50ms
- Release time ranges from 70ms to 2.5s
- Hard Bypass completely removes the compressor from your signal chain
- Perfect for desktop use — can also be mounted in the Fredenstein V.A.S. Rackmount Kit
- Universal power supply: 90VAC–240VAC, 50Hz–60Hz
Overall the V.A.S Comp supports a wide variety of different sounds from smooth and clean to aggressive and smashed. As a truly flexible compressor, if features rotary controls for Input Gain, Attack Time, Release Time , Compression Ratio, Side-Chain Bandwidth (Low-Cut Filter), Make-Up gain, and Wet/Dry mixing (parallel compression) as well as illuminated switches for Bypass, Stereo link, and Side-Chain filter.
Controlling the operation of the V.A.S. Comp is very easy due to its separate Gain-Reduction and Output-Level meters. Gain reduction is indicated with 12 LEDs ranging from 1 to 16 dB and the output-level in the range from -30 dB to +20dB (0 dB = +4 dBu). Other professional features are a hard bypass when powered off and a three second turn-on delay to suppress pops, as well as a remote Bypass function in Stereo link mode. Only one Bypass switch has to be engaged to put both units in Bypass mode for easy stereo confidence checks, with or without compression.
For easy touring and recording around the world, the V.A.S. Comp has a built-in universal power supply ranging from 90Vac to 240Vac, 50 -60 Hz.
As all Fredenstein products, the V.A.S. Comp is designed by a German-American team and manufactured in Taiwan.