The Cyclone is the result of more than a decade of continuous development. Rycote's design and engineering teams have focused on each component to build an all-new windshield system from the ground up. Everything has been considered, nothing overlooked because to design a windshield system this advanced, everything counts. Alone, every one of these advancements is a performance breakthrough. Together, they are the Cyclone, the world's most advanced microphone windshield and shock-mount system.
- Radical new design and shape delivers a new pinnacle in audio transparency, wind noise and handling noise isolation.
- Lightweight, durable construction, designed with materials to withstand extreme field conditions.
- Featuring 3D-Tex delivering massive wind noise reduction without needing additional fur coverings.
- Basket Z-Locking design, with magnetic locking, provides instant, one-hand microphone access with automatic, self-aligning basket reassembly.
- Swivel latches provide additional basket security for extreme environments and run-and-gun applications
- Increased acoustic transparency, and no parallel surfaces to minimise room-tones, provides a clean frequency response.
- All-new, patented Floating-Basket Suspension with Lyre technology for reduction of windshield basket handling noise.
- Industry-leading Lyre Microphone Suspension with Universal Lyre webs (19-25mm) includes spares.
- Supplied with ultra-soft, flexible Mogami cable, fitted with gold pin Neutrik XX-series XLR connectors.
- Output male XLR locked in angled position on lightweight boom adaptor, allowing internal or external pole cables and plug-on transmitters to be attached securely.
- Compatible with optional Cyclone Windjammer for extreme wind isolation performance.
Quick and Easy - Through Innovation
The Cyclone has been designed with ease of set-up and use as a priority for the location sound professional. The windshield basket design uses a magnetic Z-Locking System that can be opened and closed in the blink of an eye - using just one hand. Reassembly is automatic as components magnetically snap into perfect alignment.
Acoustic transparency and room-tone effect
When we designed the Cyclone, we started with a blank canvas. That gave us complete freedom to imagine something radical, something entirely different from anything that's been dreamed of before. Picture a windshield that combines superb acoustic transparency with an equal effectiveness in protecting against wind noise. A windshield with an open shell structure, curved contours and no straight or parallel surfaces. Thus reducing the room-tone effects that characterise conventional tubular designs. A windshield designed for the future, but ready to use today.
Greater Wind Protection
The structure was developed using state-of-the-art design tools with computer-generated simulations to generate a frame that achieves the ideal balance of location robustness with minimal weight. With an aerodynamically efficient asymmetric shape, it is covered with our new-age 3D-Tex material. This provides enormous benefits in terms of surface turbulence and acoustic impedance resulting in such a level of wind noise reduction that a fur cover is unnecessary. For extreme œweather warning conditions an optional Windjammer allows previously impossible recordings.
Shock Isolation from Every Perspective
Any structure can transmit mechanical vibrations and radiate them as acoustic noise. Moreover natural resonances, dependent on materials and mass, will amplify certain frequencies and give this a characteristic spectrum. Windshield baskets are no exception, so a small proportion of handling noise links to the microphone through the air, bypassing any immediate suspension system.
While Rycote uses its industry-leading Lyre microphone suspension to reduce the bulk of shock and handling noise, the Cyclone takes the Lyre principle and incorporates it in a Floating Basket Suspension. This innovative technique provides vibration isolation between basket and pole, thus attenuating handling noise at source.