The F601A is a versatile high performance professional microphone preamplifier. It is the only mic-pre that allows the engineer to choose whether to use the input transformer, as well as, whether to use the output transformer. Each has a switch and is gain compensated for easy comparisons.
The premium Lundahl transformers used are very transparent, which means these switches only tend to have a subtle sonic effect and whichever combination is choosen the performance is always exceptional. Often the benefits of transformers relate to noise rejection and galvanic isolation but with some penalty in absolute distortion and frequency response, but with Lundahls, the benefits can be useful and the penalties tend to be very minimal.
The F601A uses a fully discrete Class-A gain stage with an innovative Zero-Negative-Feedback design. This improves low frequency and transient reproduction dramatically and delivers detailed high frequency information without being harsh. This preamplifier has been described as truly silky, smooth and warm and yet, tends to be very fast and detailed.
Controls include; Gain (0 to 78 dB !), Input Impedance (1000 or 300 ohm), Low Cut Filter (60 Hz), Phantom Power and Polarity. It also has a front panel DI Input for instruments. Output level is displayed with a conventional VU meter.
Behind the front panel, controlling gain and other functions, the F601A incorporates a few dozen high quality sealed relays controlled by a 32 bit MCU. If placed in a Fredenstein Bento 6D or 10D, settings will be automatically displayed on the Bento's LCD display which makes accurate recalls a breeze. It also means better matching when multiple F601A's are used for stereo or surround.
The F601A's very low noise, intrinsically low distortion and wide frequency response will provide exceptional sonic results. It outperforms “classic” microphone preamplifiers by a wide margin. This isn't your grandfather's mic-pre.
- A high-performance preamp for pro recording engineers
- Discrete Class A gain stage with unique zero-negative-feedback design
- Individually selectable Lundahl input and output transformers
- 78dB of gain (with input transformer engaged)
- Polarity reverse, 48-volt phantom power, and 60Hz highpass filter
- lo-Z switch lowers the input impedance to 300 ohms to optimally match up with your ribbon and dynamic mics
- Incorporates high-quality sealed relays controlled by 32-bit microcontroller
- 32-bit CPU stores your parameters in nonvolatile memory
- Install it in a Fredenstein Bento D chassis and all parameters will be displayed on the Bento LCD screen