The V.A.S. MicPre is a convenient desk-top mic preamp combined with a high quality headphone amp. An unbalanced insert for compressors and EQ is also provided.
V.A.S stands for Vintage Analog Sound. We use the powerful discrete Fredenstein OPA2 and an American steel core output transformer to achieve that familiar color. It has been described as smooth without being dark, harsh or just “mid-rangy”. The V.A.S. MicPre is also very quiet which may be a departure from some old designs.
The features include an Input Gain control (15-65 dB), Output Level Control, a 20 dB Pad, switchable polarity, selectable input impedance, switchable Low-Cut filter, and Phantom-Power support. Metering is provided with a 50 dB range, 8 LED Peak display. The combination of Input Gain and Output Gain controls allows you to creatively add some “drive” to the sound by turning the Input up and the Output down, or you can keep it clean and clear.
The balanced input and the balanced output are available on XLR and TRS connectors. With the optional rack mount kit, two V.A.S. devices can be mounted together to form a 19 inch 1U enclosure. For easy touring and recording around the world, the V.A.S. MicPre has a built-in universal power supply ranging from 90Vac to 240Vac, 50-60 Hz, as well as being solid and well built using quality components. The V.A.S. MicPre has proven to be very reliable indeed.
As all Fredenstein products, the V.A.S. MicPre is designed by a German-American team and manufactured in Taiwan.
- Single-channel microphone preamplifier with DI input for electric instruments
- Clear, vibrant, balanced sound from OPA2 discrete op-amp and steel-core output transformer
- Insert point allows you to integrate external processors like compressors, EQs, de-essers and effects
- Impedance switch lowers the input impedance for use with some dynamic/ribbon mics
- 48V phantom power for condenser microphones
- Pad switch activates a 20dB attenuator at the input stage (does not affect the DI input)
- Low-cut switch activates a filter centered at 60Hz to remove low-end mud and rumble
- Output Level control allows you to achieve saturated sounds by increasing input gain while reducing output level
- Front-panel headphone output with volume control for convenient signal monitoring
- Perfect for desktop use, can also be mounted in the Fredenstein V.A.S. Rackmount Kit
- Universal power supply: 90VAC–240VAC, 50Hz–60Hz