The DXD series from Brainstorm is designed to ease the transition to IP. The DXD-8 Universal Clock, a precision multiformat reference generator generates up to 4 independent video syncs and audio clocks simultaneously. With the PTP option, it acts as a bridge between an IP infrastructure and legacy A/V equipment.
- 4 separate Reference Generators
- 8 universal outputs (WC, AES, VID SYNC, 10MHz)
- 2 external reference inputs with failover for redundancy
- Synchronizes to a legacy reference, a PTP network or a GPS clock
- Remote control via web browser
- Multiple options: PTP, GPS, OCXO
IEEE 1588 Network Sync
Optional firmware can be installed to give PTP capabilities to the DXD-8, compliant with IEEE 1588 PTP V2. The DXD- 8 can be either a PTP master or slave Clock. PTP (Precision Time Protocol), defined in IEEE 1588, has been broadly adopted by manufacturers as a network synchronizing standard, which means that the DXD-8 can work in a number of systems. PTP profiles supported by the DXD-8 include AES67 and SMPTE 2059.
As a PTP slave, the DXD-8 would synchronize its internal clocks to the PTP Grandmaster while generating the different sync pulses and clocks. Alternatively it can itself fulfill the function of Grandmaster either locked to the GPS signal (option) or to it's internal oscillator. The DXD-8 has one Gigabit Ethernet port (RJ45).nd for security reasons no information flows from any network port to any other.
Customize Your Units with Universal Outputs
6 independent sync pulses and clocks are generated simultaneously by the DXD-16 and are routed to the 16 BNC universal outputs. Universal Outputs offer great flexibility compared to dedicated outputs as they can be configured for any of the generated legacy reference signals. This includes all standard SD and HD video sync formats (Black Burst and HD tri-level sync), word clock and AES-3id (at rates from 32 o 384 KHz, plus all the necessary pull-up/down, including 24:25 conversions, even VSO) and 10MHz.
Accurate and Versatile Clock Generator
The DXD-8 generates up to 4 independent sync pulses and clocks simultaneously and routes them to the 8 BNC universal outputs. Universal Outputs give the DXD-8 great exibility as they can output any of the generated legacy reference signals. Included are all standard SD and HD video sync formats (Black Burst and HD tri-level sync), word clock and AES11 DARS (standard rates up to 384 KHz and all the necessary pull-up/down, including 24:25 conversions, even VSO) and 10MHz.
Accurate and Versatile Clock Generator
A high-accuracy internal crystal oscillator (TCXO) provides a very stable frequency reference (+/- 1ppm). An optional oven-controlled oscillator (OCXO) can be installed. External legacy signals can also be used as reference, such as Word Clock, AES, Video Sync (SD & HD) or a 10MHz tone. The generated outputs have extremely low jitter. The output rates are independent from the reference rate which means that any rate can be extracted from any reference such as 59.97 from 25FPS for example
DXD as a PTP Slave or PTP Grandmaster
- It has the capability of being a PTP slave or a PTP Grandmaster and gives the operator exceptional flexibility:
- As a stand-alone Master locked to its internal oscillator or GPS, it will provide sync to the network via PTP ports and to the legacy equipment via the The Brainstorm Unique Universal Outputs, simultaneously.
- As a PTP master, the DXD can lock to an external sync source such as 10 MHz sine wave, Word Clock, AES or any standard Video Sync so the IP network locks to the existing sync sources.
- As a PTP slave, it can generate legacy sync to keep the legacy equipment locked to the network.
GNSS / GPS
A GPS receiver can be installed in either unit. GPS not only provides an extremely accurate timing source, it also enables DXD's in remote locations to be locked and in phase with one another. Additionally, with the GPS option, the DXD will have a higher priority as a PTP Grandmaster.
Resilience and Redundancy
When using an external reference, a second source can be connected as fallback in case of failure. If the external reference becomes unusable, the DXD-8 continues generating, locked either to the alternate source or to the internal oscillator and re-locks to the reference when it reappears. These transitions occur smoothly and gradually with no sync shock to the system.
Two external 12VDC power supply can be connected to the DXD-8. It can operate with either of these power sources and they can both act as a back-up for the other with auto switch-over in the event of a failure.
Remote Control - Coming Soon
Embedded web server
- The DXD is accessed with a browser
- Monitor the unit
- Change settings
- Upload firmware
Web page header includes:
- Device info (name, serial no…)
- REF info,
- LOCK status
- System Time (TOD)
- GPS status
- Unit is monitored via the Status page
- Settings are changed via Configuration pages