The Studio Channel is great for studio and live use. Its Class A preamp features a high-output 12AX7 tube and Gain and Tube Drive controls. The full-featured, VCA-based compressor includes Auto Attack/Release. The EQ can be pre- or post-compressor and has a fully parametric mid band and semi-parametric high and low bands that can be shelving or peak.
- High-voltage Class A 12AX7 vacuum-tube mic/instrument preamplifier
- Gain, Tube Drive, HP filter, -20 dB pad, phantom power, polarity reverse
- Variable VCA compressor with Auto Attack/Release and Soft/Hard Knee
- 3-band equalizer with parametric mid band and semi-parametric, shelving/peak low and high bands
- EQ is switchable pre-/post-compressor
- Separately bypass EQ and compressor
- Backlit VU meter (gain reduction or output gain)
- Instrument, line, and mic inputs
- 1U 19" rack-mountable, rugged steel chassis
- External 16 VAC power supply
The versatile Studio Channel provides tube preamplification, dynamics processing, and EQ and takes the channel-strip concept in a bit different direction than does its older sibling, the Eureka. The Studio Channel's Class A tube preamplifier is based on the original BlueTube DP preamp and features a high-output 12AX7 tube that operates on voltages double that of other preamplifiers in its class. The result is lots of headroom and big tone. Gain and Tube Drive controls enable a wide range of sounds, from transparent and clear to edgy and overdriven.
The VCA-based compressor is known for musicality and fast attack, with the ability to tame the fastest transients. From slap bass, to snare drum, to vocals, the Studio Channel's compressor allows you to record blazing-hot signals with total dynamics control. Its convenient Auto Attack/Release feature provides preset attack and release curves. The backlit VU meter can display gain reduction or output gain.
The custom-designed amplifiers in the Studio Channel's three-band EQ deliver sweet-sounding gain and cut for smooth highs; deep, solid lows; and clear midrange. The midrange band is fully parametric, with variable Q. The high- and low-frequency bands have Frequency and Gain controls, but fixed Q, and can be either shelving or peak bands. The EQ can be pre- or post-compressor, and you can bypass each stage independently.
With both XLR and 1/4" line outputs, you can connect the Studio Channel to almost any recording interface, amp, or P.A. system.
What's in a Name?
With one multipurpose processor, you can elicit a huge variety of tones. Produce luscious, in-your-face vocals, dynamic acoustic piano, and fat, solid bass guitar, not to mention crystal-clear acoustic guitars, cracking snare, and huge MPC tracks.