Vintage Tube Amplifiers and Custom-Designed Transformers set the soundstage. True Passive Equalization creates Bountiful and Musical Equalization curves. The RETRO 2A3 is designed as an ultra High-Fidelity Program Equalizer whose sonic benefits go beyond the equalization process. Accurate to the industry-standard Pultec EQ performance, the RETRO 2A3 adds HF boost frequencies in several new sweet spots. Carefully implemented HF boost circuits capture the signature sound of the original passive equalizers. Use these settings to make individual tracks fit in place. Make a vocal shine and add distinct presence. There are many satisfying applications, most notably the stereo mix buss.
- Industry-standard Passive EQ with authentic feel, controls and equalization curves
- Additional HF Boost Frequencies for more precise control
- Easily recallable 100-position knob scales on boost and cut controls
- A ganged interstage-coupled Subsonic High-Pass Filter provides Peaking LF Boosts with alternate tonal characteristics
- Transformer Balanced and fully-floating 600 Ohm Input and Output to eliminate ground-induced hum and noise
- Vintage Class AB tube amplification for unity-gain make-up
- Tube substitutions are possible with internal unity gain calibration and jumper selectable 6 or 12 volt tube configuration
- Design minimizes tube heat generation
- High stability components used throughout
- Steel Chassis built to last
- Manufactured in the USA
A new Subsonic Filter allows you to do peaking low frequency boosts that tame the excessive subsonic energy exhibited in the original design if that’s what you want. Utilizing the interstage transformer, the filter not only reduces the subsonic energy but also provides distinct transformer tonal characteristics for tracking and mixing. The filter has settings of 40 and 90 Hz with a peaking response and sharp cutoff. The 40 Hz setting has no apparent loss of lows as it adds excitement to the 35-40 Hz region that is golden in many listening environments. The smoothing effect is pleasantly apparent throughout the midrange. It is easily switched-out for applications that require tight, accurate low frequency response.
In consideration of the limited real estate in your rack, the RETRO 2A3 packs two EQ channels into one 2U space with surprising freedom of movement, ease of adjustment and familiarity. Use the two channels for stereo, separately on independent tracks or cascaded for extended equalization possibilities. The channel separation exceeds 70 dB.
The RETRO 2A3 passive equalizer circuits do not rely on amplifier feedback, which can cause a harsh and clinical sound in typical active equalizer designs. By incorporating pure passive Capacitor - Inductor based equalization; the RETRO 2A3 sounds so natural and effortless even with extreme boosts and cuts. It also gives special attention to the Pultec-style bass boost/bass cut method that is essential to a powerful bass and kick drum EQ. This involves simultaneous low frequency boosts and lower-mid cuts that can scoop out the mud and add real punch. Quite simply, there are benefits to having the RETRO 2A3 in line without even equalizing, as the tube amplification has it’s own unique musicality. The RETRO 2A3 Dual Channel Tube Program Equalizer provides a very useful palette of colors and textures ready for tracking, mixing and mastering.